Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Long Lost Love

I'd forgotten how much I love camping. This past weekend we took the fam up into the hills for a two night camping trip with two other families from our daughter's school class.

IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!

I think that since the birth of #2, I'd convinced myself that camping was way too much work and not worth the headache, but boy was I wrong. While it was a little bit of a chore getting everything together, once we got there, all six kids were off into the woods. There was a very cool open space that was shaded and had a huge fallen tree in the middle that was across a small road from our campsite, that the kids called their "clubhouse." They were off exploring and creating.

At one point in the weekend, the group divided into groups and #2 was in the cooking group and came to me asking for a plate and knife and Twinkie, to serve to the other groups. He came back a few minutes later and said, "They loved it!!!" Of course they did, I wanted to say, it's a TWINKIE!!!

I realized that while staying in a hotel may have some creature comforts:
-many pillows
-soft beds
-a flush toilet within a few feet instead of a few hundred feet
-a shower
-temperature control
-no bugs (I hope)

BUT there are also a few drawbacks, like:
-everyone in a confined space and when you want to say "go play," they can only jump from bed to bed
-there is usually a TV, which doesn't really work for my crew
-entertainment requires serious effort - packing everyone in the car, making sure we have enough snacks/diapers/water/time to see or do what will fill the time

I'm now ready to go at a moments notice!! Bring on the woods!!!

No comments: