Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I'm a nerd

Yesterday I started a new class. It's Nutrition 150, a prerequisite for a BSN degree, and one of two classes I haven't taken yet. I walked onto campus, with my new notebook in hand, complete with a map of the campus and a copy of my schedule. I went to the bookstore and bought my $121 book to go along with my $60 class. (Urrrrgggghhhh) I bought my parking pass and went to sit on a bench and wait for my class to start.

As I sat in class and listened to the first day speal, I got excited. I love learning new things, and taking tests and doing assignments. Since my undergrad days, I now love multiple choice tests and assignments where there are right and wrong answers, without the essays I used to write for english and political science classes. I'm turning into a science nerd. I think I like the order and structure of the hard sciences that I don't have everyday in my life.

I really like school, having a schedule for myself and deadlines and objectives. The deadlines and objectives and schedules I make in my planner don't really seem the same. I think I like the control I have over myself when I'm in class. Or maybe I like the fact that I can sit there for 90 minutes and no one is going to pull on me or sit on me or throw pillows at me. Maybe it's the fact that I'm not in charge of anyone else but me when I'm sitting in a class. It seems so much easier to accomplish things in school than it does in non-school-life. I don't remember feeling like this when I was in school full time.

The grass is always greener somewhere else.

2 comments:

Jeff n' Rachelle said...

keep going. I'm looking into ADN to BSN programs

Rachel said...

I like what you said about being in charge of nobody but yourself. That's the biggest luxury I think.