Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Young and Old

Today I watched my youngest son interact with our elderly neighbor, and it was priceless. Yesterday our neighbor asked us to take him to buy cat food for his cat. My son wouldn't say a word or even look up at him (and he even bought #3 a donut), but today was a different story. #3 greeted our neighbor as he came across the street to ride with us to pick up my daughter. Then while we were getting in the car, #3 sat on the armrest in between the two front seats and talked to him, noticed he had a few scratches and needed a band-aid, tickled his ear. All this while the other two watched in amazement and they'll barely speak to our neighbor. He's old, I think he's had a stroke because he drools (which really unnerves #2). I was touched to see my young child not recognize things that might otherwise bother other children and adults for that matter.

No comments: