Wednesday, January 2, 2008

I've created a monster . . . Part 2

I admitted in my previous post about purchasing small things for my children, that sometimes it's worth $3-5 to avoid a struggle. Today, I sadly realized this is much more my problem, than it is my son's.

This morning I ran into Target (is it ever possible to run quickly into Target?) to purchase a change of clothes for my youngest son who threw up in the car on our way to a funeral. Just inside the door was the $1 Spot, and what did I do? Picked out a small thing for each of my children. Why!?!?!?! No one was with me begging and crying for a toy, just me and my purse and my mission for an emergency change of clothes in case he vomited again. I walked out feeling pretty good about my purchases (I also found a cool fancy jacket for myself on sale for $13), and it was about an hour later when it hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm the one in need of deprogramming just as much, if not more, than my son.

I guess I'm the monster that needs recreating.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has created this monster. And I've done exactly the same thing - run into Target (no, it's not really possible) and grabbed something small for both my boys when they aren't with me. Maybe this is a good New Year's resolution to just STOP!

Kay said...

Having to say NO to children is one of the hardest things --- to anyone for that matter, and I'm a total wimp! Sounds to me like you're handling things just about right. Keep it up!