Sunday, January 27, 2008

We Thank Thee Oh God

President Gordon B. Hinckley has died at 97. I am saddened by this news because I loved listening to his words. He was the kind of man who made me feel like I was doing a good job (at anything) and was always able to make suggestions for improvement in one's life that were reasonable and good. I feel like I heard on a number of occasions things like: Husbands, be good to your wife. Wives, use softer voices. Children, obey your parents.
(The above are not direct quotes, merely my impression.)

I appreciated the way he always seemed to build people up and wanted everyone to feel welcome. His messages were simple and universal in that we can all be better to each other. That to me seems like a prophet for the world.

In our last stake conference, (it was a satellite broadcast from SLC), President Hinckley gave 4 points for a happy home. (I sure wish I wasn't stopping someone from writing on the wall of the church, or punching another child for touching his toy, but such is my lot right now, and I'm praying that his remarks will be transcribed and made available online. I'll post them when I find them.)

I will miss his kind and heartfelt words this upcoming April and many general conferences to come. I will miss the love that I felt in listening to him speak and reading his words. But what a great day for him to be reunited with his wife of over 60 years who passed away almost four years ago. Thank goodness there is more than just our time on Earth.

No comments: