Wednesday, December 19, 2007

What you might find at a Van Halen concert

Last night my husband took me to the Van Halen concert. It has been a dream of his to see the "original" Van Halen since he was about eleven, so when tickets went on sale he was poised and ready for the best available seats (which just so happened to be in the 12th row). I knew of Van Halen, prior to meeting my husband, but I am nowhere near the fan he is, but enjoyed it nonetheless.

We discussed the most recent shows we've seen: U2, Tool, and now Van Halen. U2 has an incredible light show along with Bono's political message. Tool was a little bizarre for me: disturbing images and I felt like I should have been home on my couch watching MTV because their video presentation took away from their live performance. And then Van Halen, we decided they are just a party band, no agenda.

When you're at the show, you will probably get a contact high from the four people around lighting up joints every 40 minutes. You'll probably see ladies in red bustiers, barely there leather mini skirts and five inch heals. You'll probably see Diamond Dave in skin tight leather pants gyrating all over the stage showing off his sweet bow staff skills with the mic stand. Or you might notice what I did. . .

This show featured Eddie Van Halen's son, Wolfgang, on bass guitar. Wolffie is 16. Yea! Sixteen, touring with his dad, uncle and Diamond Dave. WOW!!! The thing that came through just as loud as the sex in the lyrics, and DLR's showmanship, was Eddie's love for his son. It's not often that I see or notice a parent of a 16 year old the way I noticed them.

At one point the two were playing next to each other and went to part ways, but not before Eddie reached his arm around Wolffie's shoulder and kissed him on the head. Really!! There were other times when Eddie gave him 5 and then waited awkwardly for the return that was a little late.

There's always a point in the show where Eddie is on stage by himself. It's basically a jam session with himself interspersed with bits and pieces of songs that have been on albums. He came to 316, which is a guitar solo he wrote about/for the birth of his son, the very one that is now on stage with him. (On a sidenote, 316 is Wolffie's birthdate.) Anyway, when he started this section, he pointed to his right shoulder where his son's name is tattooed. During this part the big screen showed "EVH Wolfgang" on the guitar head, Eddie's line of guitars.

Now I know we all love our kids and show them in different ways, so I guess when you're a rock star touring around the world, you show it in front of thousands of people, because that's where you happen to be at the time. But how many of us can take our children to work and play alongside them as equals. Maybe that's what happens when your dad is a rock star.

What I didn't see was a teenager who was embarrassed by the things his dad did, but I wonder if he does. I wonder if he ever rolls his eyes when his dad asks/tells him to pick up his room because no one can see the floor through the clothes. I've seen the Osbornes, and this didn't look like that. I wonder if Eddie ever went crazy with 2 year old Wolffie because he poured milk on the table where his guitar was, or maybe he missed those times since he is a rock star.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You clearly have the coolest husband in the history of heterosexual marriages. You are such a lucky woman.