Monday, December 24, 2007

I've created a monster

My child #2 is a mystery to me in many ways, but I'm afraid I've turned him into a retailer's dream, but a parent's nightmare. A day doesn't go by that he doesn't ask to go to a store and buy something he wants.

In the past we'd go somewhere and I would buy him something, a toy, a piece of candy, a book, whatever. He would ask, and I thought to myself, "$3 (or some small amount) versus the fight if I say no . . . sure, no problem." I hated to go out with my children and always say NO when they ask for things, so I would say YES instead.

Well, that has backfired on me. Now #2 is so accustomed to buying something when we go into a store that he throws a fit, and not just whining and complaining, he goes into complete meltdown if I don't purchase something he wants. Apparently he's a creature of habit, and I think it's time to form a new one.

No comments: